Capitol Square and the Ohio Statehouse is considered to be one of the most significant architectural accomplishments
of the early republic. Its Greek Revival Doric architectural details and proportions, and its setting in Capitol
Square, give the impression of permanence, elegance and grandeur deserved by the original State Legislature who passed
a law on January 26, 1838 to build the new Statehouse. The cornerstone for the capitol was laid July 4, 1839. The
Legislative Chambers and Governor's Office were occupied in 1857 and, after 22 years of construction, the Statehouse
was completed in 1861.
The Statehouse renovation started in the early 1990's and was completed and rededicated with a ribbon cutting ceremony on
July 7, 1996. This restored the Statehouse to its 1861 design and elegance. To many Ohioans, the Statehouse is the symbol
of Ohio State's government.
The annex now named the Senate Building was completed in 1901. The building was built as the Ohio Judiciary Building and
over the years has housed offices of the House of Representatives and the Senate. It was renovated in 1992. Today, with
its Grande staircase, it is the home of the Ohio Senate offices and hearing rooms.
The Atrium, added in 1993, with its large first floor area is used by numerous guests from non-profit organizations each
year. The ground floor of the Atrium, with its Map Room and Salmon P. Chase Education Center, is used as the starting
point of the 70,000 guests who take guided tours of the Statehouse and Senate Building each year.