Media
 

Located near the front doors of the Ohio Statehouse on the West Plaza (High Street) side.

 

Ohio Governor Michael DiSalle dedicated this plaque celebrating the 100th anniversary of the completion of the Statehouse on November 15, 1961. Erwin C. Zepp, then-director of the Ohio Historical Society prepared the text. State legislators and officials participated in the dedication ceremony.

 

100 Year Anniversary Memorial

1861 1961

ON JANUARY 26, 1838, THE OHIO GENERAL ASSEMBLY PASSED AN ACT "PROVIDING FOR THE ERECTION OF A NEW STATEHOUSE." CONSTRUCTION OF THE GREEK REVIVAL, 184 - BY 304 - FOOT STRUCTURE BEGAN IN THE SPRING OF 1839, AND ON JULY 4 OF THAT YEAR GOVERNOR JEREMIAH MORROW LAID THE CORNERSTONE. MOST OF THE STONEWORK, EXCEPT FOR THE CUPOLA, WAS FINISHED IN 1854, AND COMPLETION OF THE INTERIOR WAS BEGUN IN 1855. BY 1856, THE LEGISLATIVE HALLS WERE FINISHED, AND ON JAUARY 5, 1857, THE LEGISLATURE BEGAN ITS SESSIONS IN THE NEW CAPITOL. ON NOVEMBER 15, 1860, THE BUILDING WAS DECLARED "FINISHED, AND ALSO FURNISHED WITH THE SINGLE EXCEPTION OF THE LIBRARY ROOM." AS OF NOVEMBER 15, 1861, THE TOTAL COST OF THE STATEHOUSE AND GROUNDS WAS REPORTED AS $1,359,121.45.

THIS PLAQUE ERECTED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF

THE OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

BY THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS

DEDICATED NOVEMBER 15, 1961

BY MICHAEL V. DI SALLE, GOVERNOR

100-Year Anniversary

 

Galleries