September 14, 2010
Capitol Ohio : 108 - Ladies' Gallery
Historically, the Ladies' Gallery was a viewing area in the Ohio House of Representatives Chamber that was built in the 1890s so that women could observe the government process. As the women's suffrage movement gained support, Ohio became an active state in the movement.
The Ladies' Gallery exhibit at the Ohio Statehouse commemorates these efforts through portraits, artifacts and memorabilia of the first women elected to the Ohio legislature beginning in 1923.