October 19, 2010
Christopher Columbus Discovery Monument
The Christopher Columbus Discovery Monument was designed by Alphons Pelzer. It includes a statue of Columbus commisioned in 1892 by Monsignor Joseph Jessings for display at the Pontifical College Josephinum. The statue was moved to Capitol Square in 1932. It was rededicated in 1992 with the current base and fountain, donated by Ohio's sister state, Liguris, Italy. The base pictures several Ohio inventions and discoveries carved on pieces of slate from Liguris.