Media
 

Located on the Statehouse ground floor in the North Light Court

Alfred Belmont Graham, from Lima, Ohio, led the first 4-H club in the basement of the Clark County Courthouse. As superintendent of Springfield Township Schools, he established the earliest 4-H club (a Boys & Girls Agricultural Club) on January 15, 1902. Members learned production practices to improve corn yields and also learned "the 4-H Way" through hands-on activities. The four "H's" are for head, heart, hands, and health. Graham died in 1960 - one day before the 58th anniversary of 4-H's founding.

 

Graham Memorial

A. B. GRAHAM

THIS TABLET IS DEDICATED

TO THE MEMORY OF

A. B. GRAHAM

WHO FOUNDED THE 4-H PROGRAM

IN SPRINGFIELD Ohio

ON

January 15, 1902

THE 4-H PROGRAM HAS SINCE SPREAD

THROUGH THE UNITED STATES

AND TO MORE THAN 80 COUNTRIES

THROUGHOUT THE WORLD

PRESENTED TO THE STATE OF OHIO

BY THE OHIO 4-H FOUNDATION.

APRIL 10, 1981

Graham, Albert B.

 

Galleries