Media
 

Located on the West side of the Atrium.

 

This plaque commemorates Abraham Lincoln's first visit to the Ohio Statehouse in 1859. Because the Franklin County Fair was going on at the same time as Lincoln's visit, and the fact that he wasn't yet well-known to Ohioans, Lincoln's speech was heard by a small gathering (reportedly few than 1000 people).

 

The Young Men's Republican Club of Columbus originally dedicated this plaque in 1934. A controversy surrounding a political group having a plaque at the Statehouse led to its removal and its replacement to a more generalized location.

 

Lincoln's Speech Memorial

HERE STOOD LINCOLN

AT THE INVITATION OF THE CITIZENS

OF COLUMBUS, OHIO, ABRAHAM

LINCOLN DELIEVERED A MEMORABLE

ADDRESS HERE ON THE SIXTEENTH

DAY OF SEPTEMBER, EIGHTEEN

HUNDRED FIFTY NINE.

THIS COMMEMORATIVE MARKER

WAS ERECTED ON THE 75TH

ANNIVERSARY OF THAT

EVENT BY THE PEOPLE

OF OHIO

ERECTED SEPTEMBER 16, 1934

Lincoln, Abraham

 

Galleries