Located outside on the North Plaza (Broad Street)
This plaque honors Dr. Overton H. Mennett of Los Angeles, California, who served as the Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic in the late 1930s. He previously held the position of Junior Vice-Commander of the GAR in 1935 and served in the 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, during the Civil War. In 1938, while Commander of the GAR, the Gettysburg Times reported that Overton's favorite hobby was "reciting Lincoln¿s Gettysburg address." The National Woman's Relief Corps dedicated the plaque in 1941. As with the Ida McBride Memorial, the details around the plaques dedication are not known.
DEDICATED IN MEMORY OF
DR. OVERTON M. MENNETT
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC
THE NATIONAL WOMAN'S RELIEF CORPS.