Media
 

Located on the West Plaza corner penthouses of the parking garage

 

Presented by the Ohio Historical Society in 1966, these plaques outline the history of the construction of the current Ohio Statehouse (1838-1861). The plaques on each corner are the same.

 

THE STATE HOUSE

Built 1838-1861

 

A total of 15 commissioner, seven architect, and numberless artisans built this Grecian Doric State House of local limestone and brick from Indian mound clay at a cost of $1,359.121. Expert's today marvel that so many diverse personalities could have produced what is nationally recognized as a 'pure' and noble structure.

 

A cornerstone was laid July 4, 1839, in the 22 years required to complete the building. Political differences, a cholera epidemic, and labor difficulties cause delays. The legislature occupied the unfinished building on January 5. 1857.

 

The monumental structure, majestic in its simplicity, is truly an historic symbol of democratic government by free men.

 

THE OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1966

State House Markers - North and South

 

Galleries