On the north side of the Capitol Square stands a winged female figure clad in flowing garments holding aloft the universal symbol of peace, an olive branch. This is the statue Peace. Though erected soon after the completion of the First World War, this monument honors those who served in the American Civil War. The Woman’s Relief Corps, the auxiliary of the largest and most influential Civil War veterans' organization, the Grand Army of the Republic, commissioned the statue from Bruce Wilder Saville, a faculty member at The Ohio State University. The statue was unveiled in 1923, and in honoring service during the Civil War, recognizes the contributions of the troops on the battle field and the women they left behind.